Upstate South Carolina’s DEF CON group.
DC864 started in the fall of 2018 by co-founders Ben Acord (Overcast) and Eric Hart (Jt3kt) to bring together hackers in the Upstate, SC area. Our mission is to provide learning opportunities, resources, and camaraderie for anyone interested in technology and information security. We like to make things and break things. All ages and skill levels welcome. Current community leads are: Omicron, LukeTech, OmegaApex, faithfulst3ward, Monty, Jt3kt, and overcast.
No dues, no fees.
We support digital freedom: free expression, security, privacy, creativity, and access to knowledge.
All blog posts are the opinions of the respective author and do not represent those of any employer.
We meet on the 1st Thursday of every month at 6 PM ET. Meetings are both virtual and in-person at Synergy Mill (400 Birnie St, Greenville, SC 29611). The link to join the virtual meeting is posted to Twitter and Discord (invite link above) right before the meeting starts. Follow us on Twitter for up to date schedules and events. And join our community on Discord which is where most of the interaction and networking takes place.
Discord Community (Click to Join) – this is where most of our interaction takes place
YouTube: DC864 Group
LinkedIn: DEF CON Greenville / DC864
Email: DEFCON864info [AT] gmail [DOT] com
Penetration testing, application security, locksport, blue team / infosec defense, malware analysis, reverse engineering, capture the flag, and maker projects.
Special thanks to
Our friends over at the Synergy Mill for being a gracious host space for our meetings. The Synergy Mill is a 2500 square foot makerspace offering woodworking, metalworking, electronic tools, and many additional resources for hobby and professional building.
CODE OF CONDUCT
- DC864 provides a platform that is open to anyone who wishes to meet, regardless of who they are or what walks of life they come from. Harassment of any sorts, including sexual harassment, or harassment based on someone’s race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, skills/experience, etc will not be tolerated. Anyone found to be harassing others, or have affiliations to hate groups, may be warned or removed from the group. TL;DR: Don’t be rude.
- Respect the privacy of others. Seek permission before photographing other individuals at meetings. If the subject asks, please delete any videos or photos you may have of them at a meeting. In the event that the DC864 is providing “Off the Record” accommodations for a speaker in advance, electronic recording of any sorts is strictly prohibited. During the talk, mobile devices must be stowed in your pocket or bag. Anyone suspected of recording will be asked to leave.
- The DC864 does not, nor does DEF CON® Groups, condone illegal activities. Some of the members of DC864 have worked against criminal actors in their careers. You DO NOT want to pop up on their radar. For your own sake, do not come to meet ups looking to hack other people or organizations.
- Academic/professional dishonesty is prohibited. Do not use the meetups or provided platforms to cheat on contests or coursework. Assistance and writeups are awesome. Removing the learning experience is not. Cheating will always get you “pwned” at the technical interview.
- Law Enforcement encouraged to contribute and participate in DC864 activities, given that they are open and honest about their affiliation and intentions.
- This Code of Conduct is not the exclusive rules of the group, but are guidelines as to how persons who take part in the DC864 are expected to conduct themselves. Persons may be banned for reasons that go beyond this Code of Conduct if they are found to be disruptive to how the group operates, or if their behavior poses a hazard to others.